Monday, July 28, 2008

Weekend Wrap-Up

The Party.....
The highlight of the weekend was a family party for my not-quite-yet-7-year-old. In an effort to keep things frugal, we served only cake & ice cream with some beverages. I can honestly say that this was the first party that I did not serve "food" of any kind. It was a suprisingly nice change. I did however put the extra effort into making a homemade cake. The birthday girl requested a wedding cake style, so I made a two-tiered cake with pink polka dots. I used the chocolate recipe
here, which was divine! The frosting recipe was a little finicky, but I made it work out. I made homemade vanilla ice cream as well. More on "the big gift" in a future post.

:: mini photo shoot ::

:: presents! ::

:: the cake ::

In Other News.....
I discovered two really wonderful blogs this weekend, so spent some time reading. Make & Takes is a blog devoted to crafty fun ideas for the home & family. It is written by a former Kindergarten teacher & chockful of creative goodness. How cute are the little feather duster puppets?? To the second blog I discovered I say, "SimpleMom, where have you been all my life????" I love the blog design, all the inspiring articles bookmarked along the side, and the truly simple & creative ideas for making the beloved job of homemaking & managing all the more enjoyable. {Be sure not to miss the Home Management Notebooks articles. Great reads, whether you don't have one yet or your old one needs revamping.} She is also doing a giveaway of the book Creative Family by Amanda Soule {I've been eyeing this one for awhile now}! So be sure to stop by & follow the instructions to leave a comment :>)

No comments: