Thursday, July 17, 2008

Eating the Frog

I recently came across the saying "Eat the Frog". I. like. it. What it means is that you do the hardest/yuckiest job first, to get it out of the way. Our old fish bowl was rapidly turning into a fascinating science experiment & hubster told me he'd take care of it. I finally told him to just "Eat the Frog". He was so glad he did! I often find that a task left undone actually sucks up more energy from me dwelling on it, than it takes to actually just complete the task. {Unfortunately I doubt this is true for the bazillion bins & junk that needs to be sorted through in my basement.} Particularly as it relates to crafting, I know that I am a greater "starter", but I tend to lose motivation if a project is particularly long. Considering this, I'm astonished that I have actually completed not one, but two pairs of knitted socks. Amazing. Another reason why I don't finish or have a hard time finishing is if I run into a "roadblock" during the project. If an aspect proves to be especially difficult, it's almost as if that difficulty sucks the life/joy/excitement right out of a project. I do *love* the feeling of completing something that I had previously abandoned or lost motivation for, which is what I have been trying to do lately. I will feature some frogs in the posts to come.

Are you a "starter" or a "finisher"? Have you eaten any frogs lately? Or are you on your way to do that now? :>)

6 comments:

Beth said...

Eating the frog...hummm...never heard that phrase. I am a finisher. I rarely ever start something without finishing it. I have been "cleaning up" lately (working on myself and my home). I have eaten a few frogs, which I was actually going to post on. It's not very fun but it's pretty rewarding when it's done.

Hollie said...

I'm a starter... I love starting things. I get the idea in my head and it sounds like fun until about half way through! Then it's not so fun anymore! That's why I married a finisher!

Peaceful Chaoz said...

Hmm, I think I'm both. I actually tend to start a lot of projects and then even if it takes me all day I'll finish it because I don't like for it to be undone and maybe because I know if I leave it, it will be awhile before I get back to it. Mostly for other people or organizing for the house and such. But when it comes to me personally I start a lot of things and never finish them. I just think of new ways to start them, lol!! I have been working on that though and love that I am finally eating the frog on getting healthy and I love feeling the results of it!! :0)

Rebecca said...

Oh Hollie ~ I wish my husband were into crafts, as we would make the best team! I am just like you as in I think something will be so much fun & is such a great idea, until I'm in the middle of it. Well, we know what happens then :>)

Hollie said...

Actually, I think it bothers him that I'm not a finisher! Example... You buy a new tube of toothpaste, your old one still has a little bit left in the tube, not a lot, but enough for a few more brushings. Do you open the new one right away or do you finish the old one before opening the new one? Me, I open the new one!! He hates that!

Rebecca said...

You're funny Hol! Um, I guess in those cases, I'm the finisher, Rick opens the new one! That does drive me crazy. He'll leave some salsa in the bottom of the jar & then put the jar in the recycling pile. I turn the jar upside down to let the salsa come to the opening & there is probably enough left for another serving. Funny :>)