Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm Hiding

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man has to seek Him first to find her." ~ Maya Angelou

I came across this quote recently & I. just. love. it. I've been mulling over what it means & how that looks in a practical way. I think in a dating relationship, this quote would ensure finding a godly husband. In marriage, it keeps us both seeking after Him. I read this post about the same quote & agree that a man having to seek God to get to the heart of his beloved is, indeed precious. The author of that post also discusses how young woman today try to "hide" themselves in so many other things just to fit in: boyfriends, fashion, diets, drugs, but I think married women can fall into the same trap of looking to earthly things for satisfaction and happiness: exercise, a super-clean home, a nice car, even our dear children. Not that those things are bad in and of themselves, on the contrary, many things *I* try to hide myself in are good things, but are nothing compared to loving Jesus. I should be pursuing the things He loves so passionately that my husband has to look to Him, if he is to understand me. That sounds like such a high calling *gulp* that I don't know if I can even ever get to that place. I guess all I can do is try.

1 comment:

Saralyn said...

Well put. Makes me think of the hymn, "We have not know Thee as we ought." Google it if you don't know it. Or "Jesus, I am resting, resting." Or "Come Ye Sinners Poor and Needy." (I'd better stop now!)

As Christians we can easily become pharisees because we don't understand that Jesus is enough. It's always Jesus and _____. Jesus and modesty. Jesus and godly behavior. Jesus and obedient kids. Jesus and homeschooling. (And that's just my list of idols!) We spend far to much time pursuing His "things" in our own strength when we need to pursue Him. The more we know of Christ, the more we will be like Him.
Thanks for the reminder!