Wednesday, May 06, 2009

HE is my Haven

Yesterday Rick & I visited with a perinatal hospice group in our area called The Haven Network. They provide practical and emotional support for families with adverse prenatal diagnosis {how I wish these words weren't even in my vocabulary} and families grieving through infant loss. Although I am really thankful that this is available to us & feeling a sense of relief regarding some of the details, it was just. Too. Much. I'm praising God that Best-Hubby-Ever was right by my side. He asked the questions & filled in the details that I just couldn't. Later yesterday evening I came across this poem and it was just what I needed to read at the moment.

When you are the neediest,
He is the most sufficient.
When you are completely helpless,
He is the most helpful.
When you feel totally dependent,
He is absolutely dependable.
When you are the weakest,
He is the most able.
When you are the most alone,
He is intimately present.
When you feel you are the least,
He is the greatest.
When you feel the most useless,
He is preparing you.
When it is the darkest,
He is the only Light you need.
When you feel the least secure,
He is your Rock and Fortress.
When you are the most humble,
He is the most gracious.
When you can't,
He can.
~Author Unknown

Sometimes I feel like I just "can't". And now I'm reminded....that
I don't have to.

Holding on to Him~

7 comments:

chadandnikki said...

What an interesting resource. We live in a rural community and have to travel about 2 hours to the perinatologist so I'm not sure if our hospice could handle that or not, or if there is such a hospice in Charlotte.

It's a wonderufl peace having someone else to lean on.

Monica said...

The first time we met with the palative care team at Childrens I could not even look at them. My husband did all the talking. Evan had already been born and we had just received the diagnosis and it was just too much.
They are a great resource though. I don't think our children would have handled things as well without their input and their guidance as far as how to explain all this to them. They were also there at the hospital with our family through all of it. They arranged the photographer to come and take the pictures that are so hard to look at still, but I am so thankful that I have.

Peaceful Chaoz said...

I'm so glad to hear that you have something like this to turn too and help you through it.

Always on my heart and in my prayers. :0)

Anonymous said...

Becki and Rick,
The poem is beautiful and your faith is an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing both of these. Here is another poem that always helps me to feel the mightiness of God's power and wisdom. I always feel somehow stronger and more joyous whenever I read it, and I pray that you will too.

The Rune of St. Patrick

At Tara in this fateful hour,
I place all Heaven with its power,
And the sun with its brightness,
And the snow with its whiteness,
And the fire with all the strength it hath,
And the lightning with its rapid wrath,
And the winds with their swiftness
along their path,
And the sea with its deepness,
And the rocks with their steepness,
And the Earth with its starkness —
All these I place
By God's almighty help and grace
Between myself and the powers of darkness.

May God bless your family in your journey of love and faith. You and beautiful Olivia are in my daily prayers.
Sincerely, Elena

Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. Zoey is not mine. she is a friends baby. I have a little angel myself Kenner. Anyways, I am going to check out your blog. HAVE a GREAT day!!!

Jamie Lynn said...

I'm just a random blogger that got to you off of chadandnikki..
Nikki is actually my sisterinlaw..
Anyhoo:
I really like that peom alot.. I love when you run across just the right stuff at the right moments!
God is so wonderful!

Andi Soergel said...

I was so astounded to hear about "The Haven Network". We lost our son, Haven William at 32 weeks to anencephaly. Thanks for sharing this-I am going to check it out!
You are in my prayers as you suffer the loss of your little girl. We also had to say hello and goodbye all at the same time!
Andi Soergel