Thursday, May 29, 2008

Talk About It

I'm going to be making a few little changes around here {looks mostly}, but I think I want to add some kind of weekly feature where I ask a question that's been lurking in the back of my mind & we all discuss. I really enjoy a good stimulating discussion now and again & I think sometimes it helps to "sort things out" in my own head when I can bounce my ideas off other people. Know what I mean?

When we went on our little getaway this last weekend, after checking in you are instructed to go to the Concierge desk & receive a coupon book. The lady at the desk talks you through all the coupons in the book, starting at the back of the book & working her way forward, while asking relevant questions like "Are you traveling with kids?" "Are you interested in a fine dining meal?" and things like that. Then at the end of her little coupon book presentation, she arrives at the first coupon in the book: $50 off one night's stay {either that night or on a future visit}, if you attend a timeshare presentation/tour. Eh, I thought, $50 would not be worth it, would it? She then says that she'll take off $80 instead plus she'll give us $10 worth of tokens for the arcade. Kinda hard to pass up, considering my ever-growing frugal sensibilities. We decided not to do it, but continually joked throughout the weekend about what that $80 would've been able to pay for and is it too late to take the tour?? Hmmmm........I began thinking though......

Would you attend a presentation of some sort to get the benefit/gift, with no intention whatsoever of buying the product?

Rules:
Play nicely. We're all have our own opinion, but let's be thoughtful and respectful of one another.

8 comments:

Anna said...

I would. Obviously if they have to offer a free gift, they know you are not interested. Their goal is to get you there (using a free gift) and convince you of your need for their product. Besides how do we know they won't be so convincing, they change our minds? Give them a chance!ts

Anna said...

...not to mention I LOVE a good freebie :)

Beth said...

oooh, fun. I always love a good thought provoking question.

I am on the fence on this one. I guess it all depends on how set Dan and I are on saying no and what they are offering. I have known of too many people going to one of those with every intention of not buying whatever and walking out of there kicking themselves for having a moment of weakness.

Hollie said...

I would probably say no. I look at it this way... you never get anything for free. Even if all you have to do is sit and listen to someone try and sell you something (which I hate doing and would cause me to say no also) they are still getting your time. To some time isn't something that is precious, to me it is! I don't have a lot of it so I would rather use it to do something other then listen to a presentation for something I'm just going to say no to anyway!

Anonymous said...

We actually did this on our honeymoon and walked away with two free days and two free tickets to Universal Studios Orlando. I think it depends but for us it worked out very well
Jori

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Peaceful Chaoz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peaceful Chaoz said...

We personally try and steer clear of those type of things, not because we think we'll say yes but more because we don't really have the time or want to take the time. On the side though if I came across a really good one, say you only have to sit or something for an hour or less and the free gift was above and beyond I may think about it, but I guess I would just prefer to spend the time with my family with what little vacation we had. (And I'm using vacation as an example because thats really only when we come across these type of things) ;0)