Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Good Habit

I thought I would share something a little more personal, since lately it has been reader polls & recipes. So here goes. I have put away all my Bible study books. I have stopped reading books on Christian topics. Why? I have always struggled with self-discipline, especially in the area of my quiet times with God. I know it's something I should do, but would find a million excuses not to. My perfectionisitic tendencies would fool me into thinking that unless it was some earth-moving, soul-baring, hour-long experience then it wasn't worth it. I remember when I was younger {than I am now} I would look up to older more mature Christian women & think to myself that when I was older, I would be like them. I would *magically* study my Bible everyday just because I was older & wiser. Seems simple enough, but I finally realized: ain't gonna happen. Not *magically* at least. It is going to require work & {gasp} discipline. One reason why I started to develop this habit is because of my girls. I know they are watching me. I so badly want for them to grow up & be these godly women who love the Lord and long for Him and always want more of Him. With me as their example, I'm not sure that would be easily accomplished. They need to see it. I know now that it is better to spend 10 minutes with God every day, than 1 hour once a week. Why is it that I would waste an hour or two online, but I couldn't spend 10 minutes reading my Bible? Sometimes we are so emotion-driven that we don't have quiet times because we "just don't feel like it". I know now that this is wrong. It is something I should do whether I feel like it or not. He expects it of me and is just waiting for me to show up. I have started simply by using a daily devotional we received from K-LOVE. I look up all the Scriptures & do some journaling & praying. It has not been earth-moving, but it has been thought-provoking and, quite importantly, habit-forming. I leave my Bible & journal on the kitchen table, that way it is right there staring me in the face every day. It is my own gentle reminder of what I should do. If I happen to miss a day for some reason, I try not to beat myself up about it, but instead just move forward. I want to encourage you in this. Maybe everyone reading {to whom this topic applies} is much more disciplined than I am, but if not, I want to say: Just do it. Know that I am trying to "do it" too & that we can be on this journey together. We need a fresh filling of Him daily. Sunday mornings or Friday night small group is just not enough {although I can fool myself into thinking it is}! {File this under the: Million-reasons-why-I-don't-need-a-daily-quiet-time category}. If I can keep you accountable or ask you how you are doing with your quiet times, please leave a comment or feel free to email me privately. Or maybe you have some other tips that would help me to continue with my habit. This is the simple prayer I begin my Bible times with:
"Open my eyes that I may see the wonderful things in Your law." ~Psalm 119:18
Another Scripture that has really encouraged me in this process is Isaiah 55:10-11
"For as the rain comes down and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower
And bread to the eater,
So shall My Word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."
Even if I don't feel any spiritual adrenaline, He assures me that my quiet times ARE working and are "accomplishing what He pleases". He will work in you too! Have a blessed weekend!

No comments: