Monday, June 18, 2007

Family Movie Night

Please help! Hubby decided that for the summer {at least} we are going to institute a family movie & pizza night. I think it will be great to let the kids stay up a little later, especially since hubster's hours at work will get longer as the summer goes on. Nothing like a little snugglin' to keep everyone's love tanks full. {I also look forward to not having to cook that night!} But I am looking for some good family movie recommendations. Recently we rented Stuart Little 2, which we all enjoyed. I also bought Jurassic Park at a garage sale for $1.50. Tatiana had seen parts of it before and was really interested. We took out our Magic School Bus book about dinosaurs & discussed the different types, what they ate, the different shapes of their teeth, how a fossil is made, etc. Despite the small educational value, it is also a little on the gory/scary side. Even the 2 year old has started saying, "Dinosaurs eat people." But I digress. So any family movie ideas? Here are some that I came up with by looking around at plugged in online and a few of my own ideas thrown in:

  1. Anne of Green Gables
  2. Miracle on 34th Street {Christmas in July, anyone?}
  3. Nanny McPhee
  4. Mary Poppins
  5. Free Willy
  6. Polar Express {I miss the cooler weather I guess.}
  7. The Princess Diaries
  8. Cast Away {we have this already}
  9. Swiss Family Robinson
  10. Singin' in the Rain
  11. Honey I Shrunk the Kids
  12. Indiana Jones {??}
I am open to ideas. Have you seen any of the movies listed? I am kind of wanting to stay away from animated movies as {usually} they don't have a lot of adult appeal. Let me know what you think!

12 comments:

Beth said...

I have seen most of the movies on the list. Swiss Family Robinson is a favorite!! I got that one when I was in grade school. Your list sounds good...I might rule out Indiana Jones though just because of Sienna's age. What about Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey??

Anonymous said...

Finding Nemo we love
Charlottes Web
The Pacifer
CURIOUS GEORGE we absolutely love this one and found nothing wrong with, very very cute
We have a pizza/movie night every friday night also sometimes we watch the same movie over and over.
LAND BEFORE TIME
CINDERELLA
TOY STORY 1 and 2
NARNIA we actually weren't sure about this one but Abbey loved it and actually still talks about it all the time. You might need about three hours, depending on how your girls react to movies too, the wolves are a bit fierce and there are some other things but overall it is good.
I think that is it for now I highly highly recommend Curious George that is MY favorite!!!

Anonymous said...

How about Because of WinnDixie or Free Willy (the first one)?

I've seen all the movies you listed and like them all, and the ones that others mentioned as well, (we're kind of movie fanatics ;0)

I'm not sure if you've already watched Jurassic Park or you were going to?? I would be aware to of that one for Sienna and I agree with Beth on Indiana Jones. Also I'm not sure if I would let my kids watch The Pacifier ethier but its been a little bit since I've seen it. How fun, we do this a lot on Friday nights!! I think its neat!! By the way if you ever tire of Delivery Pizza (I don't know if that's what you do) Papa Murphys has wonderful pizza and really good coupons plus they have directions for grill cooking!!:0)

Rebecca said...

Thank you! Thank you! Jor: some of the ones you mentioned we own {Nemo, Toy Story 1 & 2, Narnia} so they get a lot of play already. We *love* Curios George too!! I have never heard of the Pacifier??? {And I love movies!} I also kinda want to have some classics in there, that's why I thought of Swiss Family Robinson & mary poppins. How about Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang? I have never seen it....

Thanks for the pizza tip. I get 3 Digiornos at Sam's Club for less than $4 a piece so I usually do that. Otherwise I do a $5 Little Caesars!

Rebecca said...

Can anyone comment on:

The Princess Bride
Annie
The Black Stallion
The Journey of Natty Gann

Seems like I have quite a great list going. I am actually really excited myself!

Anonymous said...

I have seen all those movies except Black Stallion, I love Annie, Journey of Natty Gann, didn't hold much appeal for me but I was like 13 when I saw it and Princess Bride is cute, but it has a lot of dry humor in it. I don't really care for it but most people like it.

Beth said...

I have seen three out of the four of those (haven't even heard of The Journey of Natty Gann) . For kids, stick with The Black Stallion and Annie.

Anonymous said...

No to Princess Bride, agree with jori on the humor

Haven't heard of Journey of Natt Gahn?

Yes to the Blace Stallion

And I'm kind of iffy on Annie, I don't know what the new one is like but the older version had a few words and I'm not sure a couple of the scenes would be appropriate, but I enjoyed it!!

oh and yes to chitty chitty bang bang, loved it!! How about Herbie too???

Hollie said...

Here are a few suggestions that I thought of.

Mrs. Doubtfire
Daddy Daycare (we have this and the kids love it!)
A Little Princess
Shaggy Dog (the new one with Tim Allen isn't bad, my kids loved it)
Dr. Doolittle
The Parent Trap (the old one or the new one, both are really good!)

We do the movie night thing a lot also! The kids love the fact that we will sit there and watch a movie that they like with them. We pop some popcorn and sit under blankets... it's good family time even though we are watching a movie!

Anonymous said...

I like Old Yeller and Bambi. Another good one when the boys were little was Christmas Vacation. We love that movie.

Hollie said...

I just thought of another movie that would be great for family movie night...
Monkey Trouble
We rented this for the kids and they LOVE it!

Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

Rebecca, what a fun post idea! I've saved it for a long time, so I could come back and read other recommended movies. So many good ideas!

Mary Poppins is one of my favorites from your list!

It would be fun to do a holiday movie list after Thanksgiving

:) ann