Thursday, February 22, 2007

Frugal Clothing Ideas

Whenever I get a really great deal on something, I always feel a little...sneaky. Like I bucked the system somehow. Like I got something I wasn't supposed to. Either way, it makes me feel good.
Here are some frugal clothing ideas I thought you may enjoy.

1. Thrift Stores/Garage Sales: I went to Village Discount over the weekend and bought Tatiana 6 summer shirts and 2 pairs of jeans for $14. I still can't believe it. These are all name brand items like Gymboree, Justice, Children's Place & Old Navy. They have seen some wear, but still have plenty of life left. I will be sure to be checking back there every so often to see what is new, especially once summertime nears. Another local thrift store which I have enjoyed in the past is Once Upon A Child. All kids' stuff! I also *love* garage sales. A lot of times you can purchase nearly new things for just a song. Whenever I am looking at garage sale ads, I specifically go to the ones that mention "kids clothes" or whatever it is I'm looking for. I also love neighborhood sales = less driving around.

2. Ebay: I am a big ebayer. I almost always check ebay before making a big purchase. A lot of times you can get something new or almost new for a fraction of the price. My favorite auctions are "LOTS" where you are buying a whole bunch of clothes, instead of just one item.

3. Hand Me Downs: Probably the most frugal clothing idea there is. It's free! Maybe you know someone who's child is bigger than yours to borrow clothes from. I know some people are protective of their clothes. The way I look at it is, it's all God's stuff anyways. If someone can use my clothes instead of just letting them sit unused in my basement, I rather bless another person in that way.

4. Sew: *gasp* If you are even a little bit handy, you could manage sewing simple items. My mom has made outfits for the girls without even using a zipper or button. There are so many simple easy-to-sew patterns out there. Especially as your kids grow out of the toddler sizes, it seems like the clothing gets *so* much more expensive. Fabric only costs about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the finished item. Tatiana is really into skirts right now {and I have a feeling this will continue as she is very GIRLIE} so I plan on making her some skirts for the summer. Maybe a couple of dresses too. Another mom friend plans to do the same for her daughter, so hopefully we will be taking a road trip to JoAnn's shortly!

Feel free to chime in with your frugal clothing ideas. I'd love to hear 'em!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Already planned a trip to Village Discount after the other night!! So Excited!!! Anybody out there with 4slims(girls)??? ;0) I don't think I have any other ideas you pretty much covered it all! I would love to be able to sew, but am not sure I would have time, maybe I can pay someone ;0) to make a few things for my little ones!! Great ideas!!

Beth said...

The only other thing I can think of is buy things at the end of the season. I never have gotten a winter coat when they have just come out. I always wait until they go on clearance. Like last month, before I left Kohls, I got Kate an $85 coat for $14...that's snowpants, coat, and hat. I already have winter clothes for next year tucked away for the kids. Who can beat a brand new shirt for $1.00?!

Rebecca said...

I totally forgot another thing that really revolutionized my clothes buying {especially for myself} is to buy classic styles, instead of trendy stuff. I hardly ever buy clothes for myself, but when I do, I try to get something that will always be fashionable. Like khaki pants. Black tops. A tailored button down shirt. I don't want to fill my closet with things that will be outdated in a year. When I went to Village Discount, I bought all solid color tops for T, that way in 4 years, they will still look up to date.

KWIM?

Yes!! I meant to say buy at the end of the season, but completely forgot. I think that is a really great tip. $14 for a hat/coat/snowpants set is just CRAZY good deal! Nice work ;>)