Thursday, May 18, 2006

Homemade Mustard

Yep. I'm a freak. A food freak. In most people minds, I'm sure making my own mustard propels me from average-home-cook status to chefly diva status. {At least I hope it does.} It's not even as if making mustard from scratch even requires ANY culinary skills. Just wait 48 hours then push a button?? Does that sound diva-worthy? But I'm betting that making mustard is just not something the average-home-cook would attempt. Probably just sounds intimidating, like boiling a live lobster or frenching a rack of lamb. Now that the veil has been lifted from mustard-making, maybe it is something you would attempt yourself. The simplicity (and cost vs. value) is astonishing.

Mustard
1/2 c. yellow mustard seeds

3/4 c. malt vinegar

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 t. salt

5 t. sugar plus additional to taste

Place mustard seeds and garlic in a non-reactive container with lid (like plastic or glass~I used gladware) and cover with malt vinegar. Let sit for 48 hours, adding more vinegar to barely cover the seeds, if needed. Scrape seed mixture into food processor. Add salt and sugar and process until it turns from liquid and seeds to a creamy mixture with seeds, about 3-4 minutes. Add additional vinegar as necessary to form a nice creamy mustard. It will thicken slightly upon standing and benefits from 2-3 weeks of aging.

Note: This recipe was adapted from the wonderful folks over at the That Home Site! Cooking forum. You might need to taste periodically while blending and add more sugar as needed. This is definitely a strong mustard taste and makes a lot!! You could substitute some brown mustard seeds for some of the yellow, but all my market carried was yellow. You could also use cider vinegar instead of malt vinegar, honey instead of sugar, a little added horseradish, and so on. Totally customizable!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds Interesting! Perhaps little old me might venture into the world of mustard making. I do like a good honey mustard. Or a deli seedy mustard. Hmmmm....

Well...I am glad to see you are keeping yourself out of trouble! I was worried after the trafic school entry!

TTFN~Erin