Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Same Question...Different Answer

I have developed the habit of asking myself a very pointed question. The same question. Over and over again. Sometimes I ask it in frustration, sometimes in desperation, sometimes in joyful anticipation. But I frequently ask it, especially these days.



What does God want from me?



Six simple words. Always the same question, rarely the same answer. Sometimes He speaks just one word: trust, obey, believe, wait, pray. Other times, it's things like, "Speak my Name while you're visiting so-and-so", "Be still and know that I am God", "Spend more time in My Presence", "Give grace" and so on.

The question is fairly easy to remember and ask, but often more difficult to listen and obey. Then again, no one ever said this was gonna be easy.

Please do let me know if you already have or decide to cultivate the same question asking habit. I'd love for you to share how He answers as well.

Pondering,

2 comments:

Anna said...

I am CONSTANTLY asking God the same question, but I guess with another meaning. What direction is my life headed and what does God want from. What is HIS path for me, not my own.For me, he has answered in many ways, doors opening and closing. I can remember one specific time, when I was sitting on the balcony of our new house, thanking God and praying. I heard ever so clearly, "Now is NOT the time". I was preparing to enter nursing school and though I desperately wanted a reason why, I never got an answer, but I hesitantly obeyed. I've continued to ask and have continued to receive answers in one form or another, too numerous to list here ;)

Stephanie said...

Since you posted this, I have been 'pondering' as well. You're so full of useful/helpful knowledge for me in the last little while!

I've definitely been thinking a lot more lately. Why is it that I need so many reminders for what seems like the same lesson? I know I need to give this question a try. But I also know that I need to be quiet and LiStEn too.