Thursday, June 12, 2008

Talk About It: The Internet & Relationships

I have a love/hate relationship with the internet. I am an avid learner, so I love the endless information aspect. On the other hand, I could sit here endlessly soaking up all the information. Not good! I can barely remember life before Google, but I definitely think that the library and heavy encyclopedias may have been involved. I think many people enjoy the connection that they get to the outside world, especially if you are a homemaker, like me, who previously had little daytime adult interaction. I can't underestimate the importance of connecting and relating to others who have similar views, beliefs, and interests. Sometimes I wonder though, is this really a true connection? Can you really consider the internet a relationship builder? I have used email to build a relationship with a friend and to maintain my relationships with old friends, but something about just seems not real or maybe it's just that, at least to me, it pales in comparison to sitting face to face with someone chatting, laughing, sharing. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still continue to use my email to keep in touch with other people, but if you find me dropping by unannounced or calling a little more often, it's just that I'm a little old-fashioned and rather see your facial expressions and hear your laughter instead of looking at a little emoticon or reading the abbreviation "LOL".

Do you think the internet gives us a false sense of connection with other people? Does it help you or hinder you from building what you consider to be real relationships?

Rules: Play nicely. We all have our own opinion, but let's be thoughtful and respectful of one another.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Nope! I haven't found that it has changed my relationships with real life friends. And actually...to the contrary...I think I have been able to build on some friendships and start new friendships better because I am available on the internet.

Now...does my job keep me from having a great relationship with my friends??? Probably more often than the internet does!

Peaceful Chaoz said...

I think it may be based on your personality. I am a people person so I would much rather be around people than just talking over the internet, but on the other hand when I am unable to have a long chat on the phone or in person then I love the fact that I can send an email out or recieve one just to keep updated! And I guess now that I'm thinking about it, the people I'm closest to, I see more and the people that I'm not I am more likely just to send an email to.

One thing that I don't care for though (and I think this is still in the context of playing nice, lol, especially since I have no one in particular in mind this is just a general thought) is being emailed when I have upset someone or having a "discussion" back and forth over email, things always get taken wrong on both sides and its much better to just start it all off with a phone call or even an email that says hey can we get together and talk about it! So I'm in the middle with this one, could go ethier way just depends on the mood and the day!

btw you can stop by anytime!! :0)

Anonymous said...

I love it for doing things more quickly. Emailing everyone in my ladies Bible study class with info to read, etc. instead of calling everyone, which would take precious time away from my day with the kiddos.

That said I find it takes away from spending time in real relationships. I really have to watch myself.

Good question!!!
Laurie
homeschoolblogger.com/lauriebeth