Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Signs, signs, everywhere signs

I really am amazed at the ability of babies to learn sign language. It is great for their communication development. I started signing to Sienna when she was about 6 months old. I thought it would be a great way to help us understand each other before she could actually talk. I picked "milk" and "more" and just kept signing them over and over. By 9 months, she could sign milk and it wasn't too long after that that she could sign more. WOW. You really find it hard to believe until your child is actually doing it. Now besides milk & more, she can also sign (like diaper or clothes), change, apple, play, dog (one of her favorites), open, and today for the first time she signed grapes. I think she also tried signing cracker the other day too. I also sign cookie, cat, & drink for her which she has yet to do & also have started signing water. If you add to that waving bye-bye and shaking her pointed finger for NO, that comes to about 10 signs! I need to start signing some more outdoor signs, which I think she might pick up fairly quickly. There is a link in the sidebar if you're interested in learning more about signing for babies. Oh, and I how could I forget the most crucial sign in her entire repetoire.......EAT!

No comments: